How we helped a local furniture & home appliance company scale & grow their campaigns to generate 3X the amount of leads compared to the exact same period the year prior.
Click on Rentals is a local home appliance and furniture rental company located in Melbourne, Australia.
Before coming on board with Marketing Lab, Click on rentals had dealt with a previous agency who who helped them get to their current position. Peter, the company owner felt that there was more that could be achieved from their digital campaigns. /p>
We were appointed to help Click on Rentals achieve their goals of scaling their online strategy and to improve the sales and revenue of the business. /p>
Here’s how we did it
- Scale and grow the performance of the companies online digital strategies
- Identify new highly qualified traffic sources
- Improve on market share and assert dominance over the competition
- Create an omni channel marketing experience for customers
Phase 1 – Uncovering A Big Tracking Issue
The first place a marketer would usually focus on when scaling a campaign would be the budget of the account. Most would simply suggest to increase budget, hoping to increase campaigns performance. More often than not this doesn’t happen as there are other measures that need to be in place before this can happen.
In a scoping meeting we held with the client we wanted to gain a better understanding of the business. The client made it clear to us that most leads which turned into streams of revenue were generated via enquiry form submits or phone calls.
After obtaining access to the account, we noticed pretty quickly that there was something wrong with the tracking. Tracking the homepage form submissions and enquiry form submissions but where were the phone calls?????
Without tracking one of the most valuable conversions we were missing out on data that could potentially help us when identifying which of our keywords were bringing us the most value.
We went one better than tracking the click to call button
When most businesses track phone calls, they usually use the standard call event which tracks when a customer clicks to call. Apart from not being very accurate in generating how many times the number was dialled there were other valuable pieces of information missing. These included; call length, call time and the conversation itself.
We suggested to the client that we should use a unique tracking number to allow us to collect the relevant data we needed. This would give us key information about our prospects, accurate data on how many phone calls were received and the keywords that were bringing us quality leads.
(The following screenshots show the difference in data from the same time range September 1st – 30th exactly one year apart)
As you can see from the screenshots, after implementing the change, there was a dramatic difference within the performance of the account. Just by implementing the correct tracking method we were gaining a more accurate interpretation of how the account was performing.
With our data tracking correctly, we wanted to use Google’s predictive learning tool to assist us find more prospects who are likely to call as they were deemed the most valuable to the business. The only way that the Google A.I system can do this accurately is if you feed it with the correct information which is what we call ‘Weighting your conversions’. This term means giving your conversion value a number so that the system can identify which it should go for when serving your advertising material.
In order of the most value, we input our weighted conversions into the system and let the machines predictive marketing tool do the rest.
Here we have the time period of September 2018 (screenshot 1) compared to September 2019 (screenshot 2). In this time frame we experienced over 60 conversions with 43% of them being calls.
New Audiences To Explore At A Cheaper Rate With Cross Platforming A.I
There are two major factors that are crucial to a business.
Both of these risks are experienced when a business tries to advertise to a new audience group. A sufficient amount of time is needed to see whether the new audience group being tested is providing a good return on investment. The longer the testing phase continues, the more money is required to keep the ads running.
So, how could we lower the risk for the client and ensure that the groups we decide to test give us worthwhile results?
By using Cross Platforming Artifical Intelligence.
Cross platforming artificial intelligence is the new way in which you can leverage from your current data base of customers. What this allows you to do is upload your data base into a platform like Facebook and then let the machine learning tool analyse your database. It then profiles your old list finding common trends between interests, demographics and online behaviour. Once the system knows what your ‘ideal customer’ looks like, it then populates a new list with a similar audience.
Considering we have more accurate data on who our top valued customers are, we thought to create a list focusing solely on them. (see screenshot below)
We now had a list of over 100,000 highly valuable prospects who looked like customers that had previously bought from us in the past. This lookalike A.I profiling tool allowed us to eliminate the risk it would usually take to test new audience groups.
Minimising The Pay Per Click Cost By Using Cross Platforming Marketing
From the screenshots above you will notice that we were paying anywhere from $2 to $9 for a visitor on Google Adwords. Quite expensive but acceptable considering this is traffic that is looking for us.
As you can see from the screenshot below the list of look alike audience that we previously spoke about was costing us no more than $1.80 on average per click. This meant we were paying far less for highly qualified traffic because of the power of A.I.
The other added benefit of using Facebook as a second platform for our business is that we started to create an omni channel marketing experience for our customers. This meant that we were no longer dependant on one traffic source to bring us leads.
Segmented Remarketing to Occupy Those Visitors Who Left Without Taking Action
After the success we were seeing with our AdWords and Facebook campaigns, our focus shifted slightly. We wanted to understand more about the prospects who were leaving our site and why.
The current campaigns had a great approach strategy but no follow up to match. We designed smart remarketing, to help us follow up with those prospects who were eager to exit. We used Facebook to split our audience groups into the categories of appliances that we offered. By doing this we were able to offer a more personalised and tailored remarketing campaign to our audience.
Here are some benefits of doing this
1 Offering tailored content to each audience group
2 Refrain from circulating generic and boring banners
3 Associate different offers to different categories
4 Scale dependant on the performance of each campaign
Tailored Lounge Room Ad
Tailored Laundry Appliance Ad
Adding a personalised touch to your remarketing improves the chances that you have in reconnecting with your selected audience.
As you can see from the results below, we successfully re engaged over 389 customers who were considered to be lost prospects to revisit our site. These customers who were on their 2nd visit, were more likely to leave an enquiry on our site.
By implementing our 360 campaign Click on Rentals maximised the performance of their online strategy by generating 3X the amount of conversions they had in the same period the year prior. Correcting a tracking issue allowed us to move forward with the objective of scaling our campaigns, giving us greater insight on how to maximise our budget. Higher valued leads were now the target of these campaigns causing a greater amount of revenue being generated within the business.
Harnessing the power of A.I allowed us to minimise the cost and time associated within the initial discovery phase when trying to identify new traffic pockets. New highly qualified audiences were built by machine learning, giving the business a wider stream of traffic to serve.
Using Facebook to cross platform meant that we appealed to a wider range of our audience group by creating an Omni channel marketing experience. We were now hitting prospects in more ways than one, carrying our message and story across different platforms & devices.
Data driven smart remarketing campaigns gave us the personalised touch we needed to build our ads with the purpose to re-engage with users who left our site. Increasing the percentage of a second and third time visitor to our site, which meant that a stronger relationship was established with these audiences. This improved the quality of activity on site with customers spending more time engaging with content, images and videos which increased the likely hood of a valuable action such as an enquiry form or phone call to take place.
The success of our 360 campaign was truly felt when we received a lovely email from Peter who was enjoying life overseas whilst his campaigns were running at full steam, all still being managed and optimised by our team in Australia.
If you are wanting to learn more about the 360 campaign you can visit the link below.
- Maximise the performance of the clients campaigns to increase the amount of leads being generated directly from their online sales channels
- Scale & Grow their account in such a way where their original budget was being maximised.
- Occupy a larger percentage of their target market and become the authority when it came to furniture and appliance rental companies
- Uncover new target markets and build relationships with these customers earlier within their buying cycle.
- Segmenting our audience groups to be able to tailor and personalise our advertising and remarketing campaigns so that we could speak directly to our customer.
- Maximise performance of the clients PPC account by setting up the conversion data correctly. Weighting conversions to establish which conversion would bring most value to the company and which conversion we wanted the system to optimise for.
- Using Google A.I to help formulate a bidding strategy that was proving to give us the most value for our budget
- Establishing a set of keywords that was working in terms of bring the right traffic and right types of conversions to give our account direction when wanting to optimise for scale and growth
- Using Facebooks A.I to help us find already qualified traffic in a fraction of the time and cost associated with finding a target audience with manual targeting
- Using Facebooks platform we were able to segment our audience groups based on interactions that had with certain categories on our website. Doing this allowed us to split test the categories of our business against each other to see which was most popular.
- Using Facebook as a cross platform to approach already interested customers via remarketing to incentivise and drive traffic back into the website for a fraction of the cost that it would when obtaining new cold prospects.
- By implementing weighted conversions and tracking top value conversions we were able to generate 3X the amount of leads compared to the previous period the year prior
- Implement a remarketing campaign by using cross platforming to incentives interested customers to re enter our website funnel.
- Segment our audience groups to be able to tailor our ads and personalise them so they could speak directly to our audience to have a higher impact.
- Facebooks A.I allowed us to lower the cost and time it takes in order acquire new qualified audiences. We were spending $3.80 less than what we were paying on Googles search platform.